The Bronze Medallion course provides participants with the skills and knowledge to participate in Surf Life Saving patrol operations. This is the core award to be a surf lifesaver in Australia. The course covers a wide variety of practical and theoretical components that are required for competency as a surf lifesaver. Participants work with an allocated “squad” for the entirety of the course, which usually takes place over 6-8 weeks, with around 2-3 sessions per week. On occasion the club runs intensive courses over a 2 week period.
Key Course Outcomes:
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- SLSA signals
- Risk Assessment analysis
- Recognise appropriate safe beach zones
- Basic first aid skills relevant to the aquatic environment
- Various rescues techniques including tube and body board rescues
- 200m run / 200m swim / 200m run (8 minute time limit)
- 400m swim recognisable stroke (9 minute time limit)
- Online learning modules
- Radio Operations
- Rescue Carries
- Plus a range of skills, knowledge and competency across procedures, team work, relevant communication, reporting, time management and more.
AssessmentThe assessment for this award is based on various wet and dry components including fitness, role-plays, oral questioning, practical demonstrations and performing scenarios.
AccreditationParticipants will receive their Bronze Medallion upon successful completion. This award is recognised by SLSA to be able to participate in Surf Life Saving patrol operations.
ValidityOne (1) year from date of course. Proficiency sessions will be provided each year by the club.
- Be a financial member of an SLS club
- Be at least 15 years of age on the final assessment date
- Complete an unaided swim of 400 m in 8 minutes or less (goggles and masks permitted) in a swimming pool of not less than 25 m, or over a measured open water course which will be observed prior to you undertaking any water training or assessment activities. Evidence of this must be provided to the assessor prior to commencement of the assessment for this qualification/SLSA award.
- Online Theory (16 hours)
- Face-to-face Practical (16 hours)
Want to know more? Click to view scheduled courses in the calendar.