The aim of this course is to provide participants with advanced skills and knowledge to effectively drive and manage a Rescue Water Craft (RWC) in lifesaving operations.
Key Course Outcomes:
Understand the roles and responsibilities of an RWC Operator, including:
- List the duties of an RWC Operator
- List the safety considerations when operating an RWC
- Communicate effectively with the public and patients in the normal performance of duties.
Operate an RWC
- Identify the components of an RWC
- Launch an RWC safely and efficiently
- List hazards in the surf
- Safely and efficiently negotiate the surf while driving an RWC
- Perform emergency procedures
- Perform conscious and unconscious casualty pick-ups with and without a crewperson
- Contribute to search and rescue operations; liaising effectively with other emergency response
- services as required
Prepare and maintain an RWC
- Perform pre-operational checks and preventative maintenance of the RWC and sled
- Perform post-operational maintenance of the RWC and sled
- Report major wear or damage according to organisational procedures
AssessmentAssessment is through demonstration, presentation and application of all elements of competency. Participants will be required to complete activities that may include role-plays, oral and written questioning, practical demonstrations and performing scenarios.
AccreditationUnits of competency for this course include PUAEQU001 (Prepare, maintain and test response equipment) and PUASAR016 Operate and maintain a personal watercraft for rescue operations.
ValidityOne (1) year from date of course. Proficiency sessions will be provided each year by the club.
Candidates must meet ALL of the following conditions;
- Be at least 18 years of age on the date of final assessment
- Hold and be proficient in Bronze Medallion
- A current, valid vehicle license with tow capacity
- Some States may also require candidates to hold an appropriate and current State Maritime License and other SLS awards
- 10 hours log book
- 8 hours theory
Want to know more? Click to view scheduled courses in the calendar.